Hello lovelies, I already warned you that this is going to turn into a zucchini blog (kidding :-)! Nevertheless, here is the next zucchini recipe for you: zucchini hazelnut cake. The cake turned out so delicious. I know, I really say that a lot, but the cake is really great, give it a try!
Really nice and juicy, with the fine taste of hazelnut and chocolate. It’s hard to tell that it actually contains zucchini. But it makes the cake really juicy.
Zucchini (or as we say in Switzerland: zucchetti) is a real all-rounder. Related to the pumpkin, although it resembles a cucumber. It contains minerals like calcium, which is important for the bones. In addition, trace elements such as iron, which is required for blood formation. Zucchini also contains beta-carotene and vitamin C.
Since zucchini is very neutral in taste, you can use it for sweet and savory dishes and it’s also low in calories.
The zucchini hazelnut cake is not though, but it tastes so much better. In addition, it’s of course vegan, because you don't need eggs and milk to create a fluffy cake.
And now here is the recipe for zucchini hazelnut cake:
- Baking oven
- Cake pan: 25-30 cm (10-12’)
- 200 g (7 oz.) Zucchini
- 100 ml ( 1/2 cup) plant-based milk
- 100 ml (1/2 cup) sparkling water
- 100 g (1/2 cup) melted vegan butter
- 100 g (1/2 cup) raw cane sugar or coconut blossom sugar
- 1/2 tsp ground vanilla
- 250 g (2 cups) spelt flour
- 130 g (1 ¼ cup) ground hazelnuts
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 75 g (1/2 cup) vegan chocolate drops
- 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 100 g(3.5 oz.) dark chocolate
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (356°F)
- Finely grate the zucchini, put them in a sieve and place them aside so they can rinse
- Add milk water, melted butter, sugar and vanilla into a bowl and mix well
- Add flour, hazelnuts, baking soda and baking powder and mix well, but not for too long so that the dough stays fluffy
- Squeeze the zucchini once more, you can put it into a kitchen towel and then add it to the dough along with the chocolate drops and apple cider vinegar
- Grease and flour a loaf pan (25-30 cm/10-12’)
- Put the dough inside and bake it for approx. 35-45 minutes – check with stick if well done
- Take the cake out of the pan and let it cool off on a cooling rack
- Melt the chocolate for the glaze over a water bath, add coconut oil and pour over the cake - decorate with hazelnuts
You really cannot taste the zucchini, on the contrary the cake tastes really great like hazelnut and is juicy and chocolatey. And I can tell you that the kids and their visitors loved it. I would definitely bake it again for them anytime.
Have you ever baked zucchini? I can really only recommend it to you, nobody will notice it, you smuggle vegetables into the cake and everyone will love it! I already have a chocolate cake with zucchini here on the blog and zucchini blondies here.
If you have Pinterest, you can find me here and you can pin this picture if you like:
This post is also available in: deutsch