Hello Lovelies, today I share a recipe with you, which I have been asked for several times: Vegan Swiss Apple Quiche / Pie . The "Apfelwähe" is a Swiss classic, while in Germany they rather make an apple cake, the "Wähe" is very popular here. But for good reason, the scent alone, when the apple pie is baking in the oven, is wonderful. And if the sweet scent has then spread in the house, then you should eat the pie still hot - even better. Served with a scoop of ice cream, so good.
Its not a heavy cake and prepared very quickly. So you can enjoy it for breakfast, brunch, dessert or afternoon coffee - you name it :-). A classic for almost every occasion. The recipe only needs a few ingredients: a crunchy dough, some hazelnuts, juicy apples and a sweet custard frosting - done!
Even unbaked the apple pie is a feast for the eyes already, I couldn't resist and had to take some photos of the process. It is actually easier than it looks to make the apples look so beautiful.
So here's the recipe for the Vegan Swiss Apple Quiche/Pie
Vegan Swiss Apple Quiche / Pie
- 80 g vegan butter like Alsan
- 160 gr of flour
- pinch of salt
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 50 ml of cold water
- 2 dl of plant based cream e.g., soy, oats
- 50 gr of plant based yoghurt for example coconut
- 3 tbsp sugar e.g. cane sugar
- 3 tsp starch
- 3 tablespoons of ground hazelnuts
- Mix the flour and salt in a bowl, add the cold butter in pieces
- Add the water and the vanilla and combine to a smooth dough, do not knead too much
- Roll it out and place it on a round baking mould (Pie tin) and put in the fridge for about 30 minutes
- Peel, core and chop the apples (if you like drizzle with a little lemon juice)
- For the custard, mix all the ingredients until it is a smooth mixture
- Heat the oven to 220 ° C
- Pinch the dough several times with a fork, spread the ground hazelnuts on it
- Add the apples in a ring on the dough and pour the custard on top
- Bake in the lower half of the preheated oven for 30-35 minutes
The apple pie can easily be made with a vegan cream and some plant based yoghurt. I used a unsweetened coconut yoghurt for the recipe and it worked very well. With some brown- or coconut blossom sugar you get a hint of caramel - which we like very much.
Most suitable for the apple pie are solid and slightly sour apple varieties, I like Boskopp, Gala, Golden Delicious or Braeburn for baking. You can also check my brioche with apples here.
I really like the apple pie fresh from the oven. What a treat, if served with some whipped cream or vanilla ice cream. This is a delicious and not too heavy dessert after a delicious meal. But I can tell you, even next day the Pie tastes very good, if ever there should be anything left.
I am immediately in the mood for this delicious apple pie again, it is made really quick and you have the ingredients usually at home. I hope you will try this recipe once and I look forward to your feedback.
If you have Pinterest, then you can find me here and pin one of these pictures:
This post is also available in: deutsch