Hello everyone, vegan cannelloni with spinach – today’s recipe for you! So easy and quick to make, super creamy and absolutely tasty! My kids would have loved to lick the plates, that’s how much they liked it. The cannelloni are filled with a creamy mixture of spinach and cashew cream, which causes this irresistible, velvety taste. This dish is prepared quickly and also great for guests, because you can prepare it well.
I love making my own cream from soaked cashews, it’s really easy. Just don’t forget to soak them (but it can also be done by soaking the cashews in hot water, which shortens the time). It’s important to have a good mixer so that it turns out really nice and creamy and no pieces are left behind.
And now here is the recipe for vegan cannelloni with spinach:
Vegan cannelloni with spinach
- Baking oven
- 100 gr (3/4 cup) cashews
- 300 ml (1 1/3 cup) water
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- Salt & pepper
- 400 gr (14 oz.) spinach
- 1 onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 pinches of nutmeg
- salt & pepper
- 1 can (approx. 280 gr / 10 oz.) chopped tomatoes
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 pinch of pepper
- 1-2 tsp italian herbs
- 12-16 cannelloni noodles
- 2-3 Tbsp vegan grated cheese
- 1-2 Tbsp vegan cream (or keep some of the cashew cream)
- Soak the cashews in water the night before (alternatively in hot water for 30 minutes)
- Pour out the soaking water and mix the cashews along with all other ingredients in a high-speed blender
- Blend until it becomes a very smooth cream and season it with salt and pepper
- Wash and roughly chop the spinach
- Finely chop onions and garlic and sauté them in oil until glazed
- Add the spinach and steam for about 3-5 minutes
- Season with salt, pepper and nutmeg
- Add the cashew cream, mix everything well and let it simmer for 2-3 minutes
- Put the tomatoes in a casserole and season them with salt, pepper and Italian herbs
- Fill the cannelloni with the spinach cream mixture and place them in the tomato sauce
- Mix cheese and cream and add in on top of the noodles
- Bake at 200°C (392°F) for about 20-30 minutes until golden brown
The vegan cannelloni are another good example of the fact that you really don’t have to waive anything if you’re vegan. Again, I would say that hardly anyone will notice this dish is vegan if you don’t tell them. The secret to the cheese layer is to mix the vegan grated cheese with a little cream and then put it on the pasta, because then you get this crispy layer and the “cheese” melts really well. I like to use the Simply V grated cheese for this.
And now here are a few close-ups of the Cannelloni: -) – are you hungry already?! You can prepare the dish easily, already fill the noodles and put everything in the casserole. Just put it in the oven for about 30 minutes before serving. If you expect guests, just double the recipe and serve a salad with the cannelloni. This way you will surely have a dish that tastes great for the big and small.
I hope you will try these delicious vegan cannelloni with spinach. You can also use the cashew cream for other things. I always like to alternate and besides purchased soy or oat cream, homemade cashew cream is an integral part of my kitchen. You can find other basic recipes with cashews here on the blog.
If you have Pinterest you can find me here and you can pin one of these pictures if you like:
This post is also available in: DE