Hello lovelies, I just can‘t believe how fast this summer and the golden autumn have gone by. That's why here is a little retrospective today about a great, sunny autumn picnic and the recipe for vegan donuts with coffee glaze. Perfect to lift the mood in rainy November, because donuts don’t only taste good in the sun, but also when you snuggle up on the couch.
They have become so fluffy and delicious, so I didn‘t want to withhold the recipe from you. I didn‘t fry the donuts, but baked them and covered them with a delicious coffee glaze. But I can also very well imagine a tea glaze with Earl Gray for example. I already see myself comfortably wrapped in a blanket, donut in one hand and tea in the other.
And now here is the recipe for vegan donuts with coffee glaze:
- Baking oven
- 100 gr (3/4 cup) wheat flour
- 100 gr (3/4 cup) spelt flour
- 150 ml (3/4 cup) plant-based milk + 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 75 gr (1/3 cup) sugar e.g. coconut blossom sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 100 ml (1/2 cup) sparkling water
- 50 ml (1/4 cup) neutral oil e.g. coconut or canola
- 100 gr (3/4 cup) powdered sugar
- 1-2 Tbsp cooled off espresso/coffee
- 1-2 tsp cocoa nibs
- Mix milk and apple cider vinegar and allow to coagulate for a little while
- Add all ingredients in a bowl and mix well (but not for too long so that the dough stays fluffy)
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (356°F)
- Grease a donut mold and put the dough inside
- Bake for 15-20 minutes – let them cool off
- Sieve the powdered sugar into a bowl
- Slowly add espresso/coffee and dip the donuts in it
- Sprinkle with cocoa nibs
I have to admit that I prefer baked oven donuts, because the fried ones are often a bit heavy in the stomach. This is definitely not the case with this version and the texture is still nice and loose. It‘s important not to mix the dough for too long, so that sparkling water and soda can work well, because that ensures the fluffiness.
I'm a bit wistful now when I look at these beautiful sunny pictures, I will definitely miss picnics at the lake very much. But I'm sure the delicious donuts will comfort me with this separation pain. Now in this cold season you can refine them with other spices and add clove, cardamom or nutmeg to the dough. Or how about a gingerbread version with chocolate coating?
I hope you feel like baking! The donuts are done so fast and it takes only a few ingredients - try them out. And who knows, maybe we can enjoy some sunny days soon. Then we’ll definitely go back to the lake, with donuts and simply wrapped in thicker clothes!
If you have Pinterest you can find me here and pin this pic if you like:
This post is also available in: deutsch