Hello lovelies, it's my favorite time of the year again. The elderberry is in full bloom and the strawberries are ripe. And that's why I have a great matching recipe: lemon elderflower cake with strawberries. In fact, you don’t necessarily need elderflowers for the recipe, but the delicious syrup. So you can enjoy the cake even when the elderflowers are finished blossoming. The juicy, yet fluffy cake combines the fine aromas of lemon and elderflower syrup and tastes especially delicious in combination with strawberries.
Both the strawberries and elderflowers are really late this year. The tree in front of our house is still in full bloom, which is rather unusual, but that's because May was so cold and wet. So you can still harvest the flowers in most places and make the fine syrup yourself. This is really so easy, you only need water, sugar, about 15-20 flowers and fresh lemons or citric acid. Boil 1 l of water with 1 kg of sugar (may also be a little less) sugar, let it cool slightly, add the 1-2 fresh lemons and the washed flowers. Let stand for 1-2 days (outside or in the fridge), sieve and ready.
We also use the syrup for a refreshing drink, for cocktails or for ice cream. There are so many possibilities and the kids love the taste.
And now here is the recipe for lemon elderflower cake with strawberries:
lemon elderflower cake with strawberries
- Baking oven
- 300 gr (2 1/3 cup) flour spelt or wheat
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 pinch of salt
- 150 gr (3/4 cup) sugar (raw cane sugar or xylitol)
- 140 gr (3/4 cup) vegan butter or margarine
- 200 ml (1 cup) plant based milk
- 100 ml (1/2 cup) elderflower syrup
- Juice and zest 1 lemon
- 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- Sieve the flower into a bowl and stir in baking soda, baking powder and salt
- Put sugar, margarine, elderflower syrup and milk into a food processor or mixer and mix until foamy
- Now add lemon juice and zest
- Add the dry ingredients and mix well (but not for too long)
- Stir in apple cider vinegar
- Grease and flour a loaf pan (approx. 25-30 cm/10-12“)
- Bake the cake for 30 – 40 minutes at 180°C (356°F) and check with a stick if well done
- Mix sugar and fresh lemon juice for the icing or alternatively use elderflower syrup and sugar – this will turn out very sweet though
The cake will turn out really nice and fluffy, even without eggs. You can also use the recipe as a basic recipe for a lemon cake. Simply replace the syrup with sparkling water or milk and add more lemons. With a delicious lemon icing this cake is one of my favorites in the summer.
Extremely delicious was the lemon elderflower cake with strawberries. Add them fresh on top of the cake or just serve them on the side, both fits very well. Especially if they are nice and sun kissed like they are now. But other berries also go well with this cake.
You can also take the cake to go, it fits perfectly for a picnic in the park or at the pool. And you can already find other strawberry recipes here.
Do you also like elderflower syrup that much? If so, what do you like to do with it? I’m looking forward to your ideas.
If you have Pinterest you can find me here and pin this picture:
This post is also available in: deutsch