Hello lovelies, have you baked with currants yet this summer? If not then I have the perfect recipe for you for this delicious and quick red currant cake. It doesn’t require many ingredients, it‘s very moist, not too sweet and I assure you everyone will love it. And on top it’s vegan with no white sugar, that’s an additional plus.
I like currants very much, no matter if red or white. They contain lots of valuable vitamin C and are intended to help prevent a common cold. But I also like black currants, rather not raw but as a compote, homemade jam, ice cream or sirup.
Here is the recipe:
- 300 gr 2 1/3 cups spelt flour
- 150 gr 3/4 cup coconut blossom sugar
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 200 ml 1 cup sparkling water
- 100 ml 1/2 cup canola oil
- 200 gr 1 1/3 cups red currants
- 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 100 gr 3.5 oz. vegan white chocolate
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil
- Currants for decoration
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (356°F)
- Mix flour, sugar, vanilla
- Add oil, sparkling water, lemon juice and zest and apple cider vinegar to make a smooth dough
- Pick the currants and add to the dough
- Put the dough in a greased loaf pan
- Bake for 40-50 minutes
- Place the cake on a wire rack and let it cool off
- Melt the white chocolate with coconut oil and spread on top of the cake.
- Decorate with left over currants
Now is the perfect time to try this cake as currant season will soon be over by the end of August. You can also use them to bake this wonderful muffin recipe with crumbles.
If you don’t want to use chocolate glaze, you can also make a sugar glaze with juice or just sprinkle powdered sugar on top of the cake.
In case you like these moist cakes, you may also want to try my delicious banana bread that I have to bake almost every week because everyone loves it (you can leave out the strawberries and rhubarb in this recipe if you want).
Have a great week and I’m very much looking forward to your pictures as usual – don’t forget to tag me!
This post is also available in: DE