Hello lovelies, I hope you enjoy the beautiful weather to the fullest and I have the perfect recipe for it today: Tomato burger buns. We like to eat burgers in summer, and if possible make them completely ourselves. But not only the topping of the burger is important, but especially the bun is. I'm not a fan of the mostly plump buns you can buy in the store. The tomato burger bun has everything a good burger bun has to have. It is crunchy on the outside, nice and soft on the inside and tastes fantastic.
I created this recipe in cooperation with Knorr Switzerland*. In order for the bun to taste really like tomato, I added the new Knorr tomato flakes to the dough. The tomato flakes have a fine tomato flavor, but also contain some garlic and basil. They are made of 100% natural ingredients and don’t require the addition of salt, so you can salt your dish to your own taste.
And now here is the recipe for tomato burger buns:
Tomato burger buns
- 150 ml ml (3/4 cup) soy milk (or other plant-based milk)
- 60 gr (1/3 cup) margarine
- 10 gr (0.35 oz.) fresh yeast or 1 tsp dried yeast
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 130 ml (1/2 cup) tomato juice
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 4 Tsp Knorr tomato flakes
- 500 gr (4 cups) spelt flour or wheat
- 1 Tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp vegan cream
- 1 Tsp tomato paste
- Slightly heat the milk
- Stir in margarine, sugar and yeast until dissolved
- Add tomato juice, tomato paste and Knorr tomato flakes
- Add flour and salt and knead into a smooth dough
- Place into a slightly oiled bowl, cover it with a kitchen towel and allow the dough to rise for about 3 to 4 hours
- Shape 6-10 burger buns from this dough
- Cover them up again and let them rise for an additional 20-30 minutes
- Mix cream with tomato paste and coat the buns with this mix
- Sprinkle with tomato flakes or sesame
- Bake for 25 minutes at 200°C (392°F)
We kept it red with these burgers and added red hummus, ketchup, radicchio, tomatoes and small radish – that didn’t only look very nice, but was really delicious. This time the burger patty was made from Seitan. I like to experiment with it and as soon as I am 100% satisfied, I will also share the recipe with you.
But you can built the tomato burger buns according to your preferences. There are no limits to your imagination. They are perfect for Mediterranean burgers with grilled vegetables, or for a classic with salad, cucumber, tomatoes and your favorite patty.
As usual I’m curious, do you make your burger buns yourself or do you buy them? They are really made so quickly, just prepare the dough in the morning, let it rise, bake and ready for dinner from the grill. Or just make a larger amount and freeze them, so you always have a bun at hand when the burger cravings come.
Of course the Knorr tomato flakes are also delicious with a Mediterranean salad, bruschetta or on pizza. And have you already discovered the other spices of the series? You can find my recipes with them here.
If you have Pinterest you can find me here. Feel free to pin this picture:
*This blogpost was created in cooperation with Knorr Switzerland – the recipes are my own.
This post is also available in: deutsch