Hello lovelies, here is another pasta recipe for you, a protein pasta with chickpeas and lentils. This combination is exactly my thing, as I love both chickpeas and lentils very much. I was really surprised that the sauce also tasted so good to my family, especially my kids. So I‘m very happy to share the recipe with you. I hope you can also delight your loved ones with it, because this pasta is packed with healthy ingredients.
Chickpeas and lentils
Chickpeas are a great source of protein, magnesium and even prevent iron deficiency. They also contain calcium and phosphorus and are therefore good for our bones. Not only are they delicious, they are also very versatile.
Lentils, like chickpeas, are packed with protein. They strengthen the nerves and brain with their high magnesium content and provide our body with important fiber.
In the sauce you will also find slightly caramelized shallots and dried tomatoes, which provide the delicious taste. The sauce is cooked very quickly, because you can of course use pre-cooked chickpeas. In addition, it doesn‘t only go well with pasta, but also with rice, bulgur, couscous or quinoa - you name it :-).
And now here is the recipe for protein pasta with chickpeas and lentils:
Protein pasta with chickpeas and lentils
- 2 shallots
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp raw cane sugar
- 10 dried tomatoes in oil
- 150 g (5.3 oz.) chickpeas pre-cooked or from the jar
- 100 gr(3.5 oz.) red lentils raw
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp paprika powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 400 ml (1 ¾ cups) vegetable stock
- 1 tsp oregano
- 150 ml (3/4 cup) vegan cream
- 500 gr (18 oz.) pasta of your choice
- Finely chop the shallots
- Heat up the olive oil in a pan, add the shallots, sprinkle them with sugar and let them caramelize for 3-4 minutes
- Finely chop the dried tomatos and add them to the pan along with the tomato paste
- Let it roast for another 2-3 minutes
- Add the chickpeas and lentils along with paprika powder and garlic powder
- Deglaze with the vegetable stock and let simmer at low heat for about 10–15 minutes with closed lid, until the lentils are soft
- Cook the pasta in the meantime
- Season the sauce with salt, oregano and vegan cream and let it heat up quickly – then pour over the pasta
- Serve with vegan parmesan and fresh herbs
I was extra happy that my kids really loved the pasta, especially because one of my daughters doesn't really like lentils and chickpeas. But they both really liked the delicious tomato sauce this time and said that I can now cook it more often - alright! I‘m always looking for tasty ways to make them eat lentils, chickpeas and beans, because with a vegan diet these are optimal sources of protein and so healthy.
So now it's your turn, be sure to try this delicious pasta! I even made my portion with lentil spaghetti, so even more proteins - but the rest of the family don't like them at all (and frankly, they're not my favorite either).
You can find more delicious pasta dishes here on the blog.
If you have Pinterest, you can find me here and you can pin this picture if you like:
This post is also available in: deutsch