Hey lovelies, we are a proper snack family that regularly craves for a little sweet or savory snack. We often eat fruits, sometimes small pretzels, nuts or crisp bread. But sometimes we crave for something really sweet, especially the kids. Since I prefer to offer them a healthy alternative, we often have something similar available at home, for instance blueberry granola bars (you can find the recipe here) or these healthy cookies with dates, nuts and coconut flour – and of course chocolate, because we all know chocolate makes us happy.
As my kids are naturally great eaters who always seem to be hungry, it is absolutely fine with me if they treat themselves with snacks throughout the day. To a certain extent of course. They simply loved these cookies and ate them up pretty quickly.
Here is the recipe:
- 1 Chia egg 1 Tbsp Chia seeds mixed with 5 Tbsp water
- 150 gr dates
- 75 gr hazelnuts
- 130 gr spelt flour
- 70 gr coconut flour
- 100 gr vegan butter
- 2 Tbsp maple sirup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Spices: allspice cardamom, cinnamon
- 20 gr pistachios
- 50 gr vegan chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (356°F)
- Mix the Chia seeds with water and let them soak for a little while
- Chop the dates in a blender, add the hazelnuts until both are ground well and put them in a bowl
- Mix the flour, butter, maple sirup, chia egg, spices (quantity as desired) and vanilla extract in a separate bowl
- Add the ground dates and nuts and mix them in
- Chop the pistachios roughly and add them to the dough along with the chocolate chips
- Form small balls by hand (approx. the size of a walnut) and place them on baking paper (enough space in between) and squash them down a little with a fork
- Bake for approx. 10 - 15 minutes
- Once baked, dip them in melted chocolate if you like
I used melted dark chocolate for the frosting. Dark chocolate is vegan on the one hand and the healthiest alternative on the other because it contains more cocoa and less sugar.
These cookies are a delicious snack throughout the day or also very delightful with a glas of nut milk – I dipped mine in oat milk! The cookies get their natural sweet taste from dates and maple sirup and are thereby free from refined sugar. Give them a try, I am sure you and your kids will love them as much as we do.
If you are on Pinterest you can pin this picture:
This post is also available in: deutsch