Hello lovelies, here is a new cake recipe from me today: chocolate cake with zucchini and cherries! There are certain things that perfectly match with each other such as lemon and mint, strawberries and cream or in this case cherries and chocolate! I really like this combination and since we currently have lots of cherries, I had to create a recipe with them. This chocolate cake turned out wonderful, very moist and juicy because I secretly added some zucchini to the dough. Nobody will be able to taste them but it’s a good way to soothe your conscience and pin some vegetables on the little and big vegetable rejecters.
As a child I didn’t like zucchini at all but I don’t even have a reason for it now. As my parents had many of them in their garden, they once tricked me and served a parsley soup one day that was actually a zucchini soup. After my 3rdplate I wasn’t quite able to say I don’t like them anymore. I’m still a bit mad about the false soup today!
But I hope nobody will question the ingredients with this delicious cake and simply enjoy it.
Here is the recipe:
- 350 gr 12,5 oz zucchini
- 100 gr 3,5 oz whole cane sugar
- 250 gr 9 oz spelt flour
- 3 tsp of baking powder
- 3 Tbsp cocoa
- 1 tsp vanilla extract or the pulp of 1 vanilla pod
- 100 ml 3,5 oz neutral oil (i.e. canola oil)
- 100 gr 3,5 oz dark chocolate (and some more for the glaze)
- 100 gr 3,5 oz fresh cherries (and some more for decoration)
- 100 ml 3,5 oz sparkling water
- 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (356°F)
- Finely grate the zucchini, put them into a kitchen towel or paper towel and drain as much fluid as possible
- Break the chocolate into pieces and melt them
- Pit the cherries and cut them into small pieces
- Put flour, sugar, baking powder, cocoa and vanilla into a bowl and mix well
- Then add oil, sparkling water and apple cider vinegar and stir into a smooth dough
- Mix in the zucchini, chocolate and cherries (you can mix again, so everything will be very fine)
- Grease a loaf pan and put dough inside
- Bake for 40-50 minutes – check with stick if well done
- Melt some chocolate for the glaze and pour over the cooled off cake. Place the cherries on top of the liquid chocolate.
The whole cherries on top turn this cake into a real eye catcher. We brought it to a party and everyone was delighted. This way you can start off with the whole cherries and then enjoy a full dose of chocolate. Nevertheless this cake isn’t too sweet because of the zucchini and doesn’t need any white household sugar.
Do you like a really moist chocolate cake? Then you should definitely try this recipe, especially since all these sweet and tasty cherries are currently available. And on top this is a good way to consume zucchini – do you really need any further reasons? The cake was quickly eaten up at the party, everyone really liked it.
This post is also available in: DE