Hello lovelies, today I have a new recipe idea for a simple but delicious dish for you: Fennel risotto with pears. This risotto only requires a few ingredients, but by adding fennel and pears it turns into something special with a refined flavor. Creamy risotto is one of my favorite dishes and luckily I was able to get my family enthusiastic about it too. The preparation certainly takes some time, but stirring a risotto can almost be like a meditation.
What we like about risotto in particular is the fact that it is so convertible. We have tried many different combinations so far. One of my favorite risottos is one with green asparagus, Papa Frei prefers a mushroom risotto. And of course the kids prefer a pink risotto with beetroot. One of the most popular recipes on the blog is this risotto with sweet potato and dried tomatoes, which is delicious indeed. Have you tried it yet?
This time a different combination with mellow fennel and fruity pear. You will see this goes well together. Seasoned with fresh thyme, roasted hazelnuts and you’re quickly transported into food heaven.
Here is the recipe for this creamy Fennel risotto with pears:
Fennel risotto with pears
- 2 fennel heads water, vegan butter, salt
- 1 pear
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion
- 300 gr 1 1/3 cups risotto rice
- 700 ml 3 cups bouillon
- 75 ml 1/3 cup white wine
- Fresh thyme
- 2 Tbsp hazelnuts
- Vegan parmesan
- Prepare and wash the fennel and dice it
- Put the fennel dices in a pot with some water, vegan butter and salt and let simmer at medium heat with the lid closed, until the liquid has vaporized
- Wash the pear, cut it in quarters, remove the core and dice it as well
- Finely chop the onion and sauté it in olive oil
- Add the risotto rice and shortly sauté it as well
- Deglaze with white wine and boil it down
- Now add the bouillon little by little and stir it in until it’s all settled in
- Repeat it until the rice is soft, approx. for 15 – 20 minutes
- Add the fennel and the pear and stir them in
- Season with fresh thyme, salt and pepper – if you want you can add some vegan butter to it
- Roughly chop the hazelnuts and roast them in a pan without oil
- Serve the risotto with hazelnuts and vegan parmesan (optional)
A risotto is a dish that can easily manage without any dairy products and therefore can simply be served as a vegan dish. If you like you can serve it with vegan parmesan that you can either buy or make yourself with cashews and yeast flakes. I like it very much and it gives the risotto a „cheesy“ taste.
I hope you will try this delicious risotto with fennel and pears. Especially suitable are sweet but firm pears, e.g. the type “Kaiser Alexander” or “Conférene”. These two are currently seasonally available.
If you have Pinterest, you can find me here. Please feel free to pin one of these pictures:
This post is also available in: DE