Hello Lovelies , today I have a new recipe for you and it’s my kids favorite food during winter: Winter vegetables with cabbage and mashed potatoes. We like to eat seasonal and regional and of course many types of cabbage are available right now. Children usually don’t like them that much, but I can promise you that this recipe is simply a hit with my kids, each time I make it the kids ask for second plates I’m showered with praise :-).
But I have to pass this on to my mom, because the steamed white cabbage was one of my favorite dishes as a child. The dish is very simple, quickly prepared and with the mashed potatoes a delicious feel-good dish. Ideal after school or for cold winter days.
Here is the recipe for the winter vegetables with cabbage:
Winter vegetables with cabbage
- 1/2 white cabbage
- 1-2 carrots optional
- 1 onion
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 pinch of sugar
- 1/8 l of veggie broth
- 1/8 l of vegan cream e.g., soy or oats
- Salt pepper, fresh parsley
- Cut the cabbage into thin strips - with a knife or a mandolin
- Cut carrots into strips
- Finely dice the onion
- Heat the olive oil in a pan and sauté the onions
- Add the cabbage and carrots and sauté for another 5 minutes
- Deglaze with the veggie broth and simmer with the lid closed for about 10 minutes until the cabbage is soft
- Add sugar, cream, salt and pepper and season to taste
- Optional add fresh parsley and serve over mashed potatoes
Mashed potatoes are very popular with my kids anyway, they could actually eat them every day. A vegan version is very easy to prepare, I replace the milk with plant-based milk (any milk that is currently open) and instead of butter you can add margarine or some vegan cream. Nobody will taste a difference.
I have to admit, I was a little surprised myself when I made the vegetables the first time, how much the kids loved it. Definitely worth a try, and I hope, of course, that your kids or you like it as much as we do. Especially now in the winter, where cabbage is in season and the selection of vegetables is generally a bit more limited, it is great to have a dish where you know for sure that it will be eaten with pleasure.
This post is also available in: DE