Oh Berries you know I love you so! And I wish you would be in season all year round, but on the other hand maybe I would not miss you that much than and I mean getting exited for berry season is also a good feeling. We made the best of the berry season this summer and ate lots of them, most of the time just fresh. But we also used them for some delicious recipes and today I want to share one of them with you: a very berry crumble with macadamia nuts in the crust - do you need to hear more, or are you preheating the oven already?!
The tarte also works perfectly with frozen berries, so just perfect to bring back some of those sweet summer memories, when the berries where the sweetest and juiciest.
But first I wanted to talk about the benefits from berries, since they do a lot of good things for our health - thank you berries, you are amazing!
Here are some of my fav health benefits:
- Antioxidants. These chemicals, which include vitamins A, C and E, protect cells from damage and possibly from disease. Berries are loaded with them.
- Resveratrol. This is found in grapes and some other berries, as well as in red wine and dark chocolate. It may help lower inflammation, prevent clogged arteries, and offer cancer protection. A recent study suggests it may be good for people with Alzheimer’s. "In our lab we have found that they have direct effects on the brain,” Shukitt-Hale says.
- Flavonoids. These nutrients give berries their brilliant colors and may help protect against cancer, inflammation, and heart disease. (Source: http://www.webmd.com)
Sounds very good to me and just another 3 reasons to eat more berries. So here is the recipe:
- 100 gr spelt flour
- 40 gr macadamia nuts
- 75 gr oats
- 100 gr vegan butter
- 50 gr raw cane sugar
- 250 gr mixed berries
- 20 gr maple syrup
- 10 gr starch
- some vanilla
- pinch of salt
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- optional: splash of rosé
For the crust:
- Roughly chop the Macadamia nuts. Cut the cold butter in pieces, mix with the other ingredients and kneed (with your hands or a food processor) until well combined. Form a ball and put it in the fridge.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degree
For the berry filling:
- Add the berries to a pan, bring to a boil. Turn down the heat, mix the starch with some liquid, e.g. the lime juice, rosé or some water and make sure it is fully dissolved. Add to the berries with the rest of the ingredients. Let simmer until it has thickened a bit (ca. 5-10 minutes)
- Add the crust into a tarte pan (square or round), keeping 1/3 of the dough for the crumbles. Add the berries and crumble the rest of the dough on top. Bake for 30-35 minutes.
- Serve with vegan ice cream, fresh berries or just powdered sugar.
You can serve it warm (oh my just heavenly) with vegan ice cream, or with fresh berries or just some powdered sugar on top. I liked all 3 versions a lot 🙂
Let me know if you try the recipe, tag me on Facebook or Instagram, or just tell me below!
This post is also available in: deutsch