Hello lovelies, there’s nothing like simple and quick cake recipes and that’s exactly what I have for you today: vegan apple cake with crumbles. The apple cake is prepared quickly with only a few ingredients and still tastes refined. The apples and the curd/yogurt make it very juicy but still fluffy, just how we like cake – this is, by the way, an ongoing debate with banana bread :-).
This cake doesn’t have much sugar and I like to bake it with coconut blossom sugar for a caramel flavor. You can also use xylitol or raw cane sugar, whatever you like. This time I have also replaced half of the flour with rice flour and I’m very happy with the result. Rice flour has a very fine texture, is naturally gluten-free and is mainly used in Asia for pastry. But even here it’s becoming increasingly popular and is now also available in most supermarkets. It’s easy to digest and has a lot of fiber.
And here is the recipe for vegan apple cake with crumbles:
Vegan apple cake with crumbles
- 100 gr 1/2 cup vegan butter/margarine
- 100 gr 1/2 cup sugar (e.g. coconut blossom sugar or raw cane sugar)
- 200 gr 1 cup vegan curd (yogurt works too)
- Juice & zest of ½ lemon
- 100 ml 1/2 cup sparkling water
- 1 Tbsp flax seed flour or any other egg replacement
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 300 gr 2 1/3 cup flour (I used half rice flour & half spelt flour)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2-3 apples
- 30 gr 1/8 cup vegan butter/margarine
- 30 gr 1/8 cup sugar
- 50 gr 1/3 cup flour
- 30 gr 1 oz. marzipan (optional)
- Pinch of lemon zest
- Put margarine, sugar, curd, lemon juice and lemon zest into a bowl or food processor and mix well
- Stir in water and flax seed flour
- Mix all dry ingredients and then stir them in
- Finally stir in the apple cider vinegar
- Peel the apples and cut them in pieces, then mix them with some lemon juice and cinnamon
- Stir them into the dough
- Grease a loaf pan and fill the dough inside
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (356°C)
- Put all ingredients for the crumbles into a bowl and knead it with your hands until it gets crumbly
- Sprinkle on top of the cake
- Bake for 50-60 minutes and check with a stick if well done
Apple cake is definitely a classic and since apples are always available, you can enjoy the fine cake pretty much in every season. This time I added delicious crumbles with a touch of marzipan to it, but you can also leave them out. Due to the loaf shape the cake is perfect to go, for a picnic or a snack with friends. I even had it in my suitcase when visiting friends in Berlin.
A special treat sprinkled with powdered sugar and yes, I also had a lot of fun during the shoot. I enjoy trying new things while taking pictures, and especially pictures with a bit of movement are always exciting – and a big mess, but that’s just part of it!
I hope you like this recipe and you will give this yummy apple cake a try very soon. My kids and their friends loved it and we enjoyed it still warm and straight out the oven, which was very nice.
This post is also available in: DE