Hello Lovelies, we really had some horrible weather the last week, with rain every day. And usually I don’t complain about the weather much, since it is something I can’t change, but it would be really nice to see some blue sky every now and then to not fall into a deep winter depression. The only good thing about the cold and wet weather is the fact that we can enjoy even more soul food. Colorful food on my table helps to lift my mood tremendously. So if the sun refuses to shine, than I can at least have some sunshine on my plate.
And I don’t think there is anything better than a warming soup to make you feel better. So there is not only ONE bowl of this delicious soup today, but three to share with everyone, at least virtually. It’s a Sweet potato fennel soup with orange juice and it turned out so delicious. So I’m sticking to my resolution to use more potatoes, I’m sure sweet potato counts as well, right? The sweet potato makes the soup extra creamy and forms a perfect harmony together with the fennel and the sour touch of the oranges.
I used sweet potato chips as topping, since they are not only pretty but also delicious and prepared in minutes. They are also the perfect healthy snack, also without the soup. I also added some fennel greens as decorations, so no need to get rid of that and a little blood orange star as colorful highlight – and because I love them and have to use them as much as possible as long as they are in season.
Here is the recipe:
- 2 shallots
- 1 garlic clove
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 500 gr sweet potato
- 300 gr fennel
- 700 ml water
- 1 Tsp bouillon
- Juice of 2 oranges or blood oranges & some zest if you like
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 50 ml vegan cream oat or rice
- chili if you like
- 1 sweet potato
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- Chop the shallots and the garlic and cook in the olive oil until translucent
- Peel and chop the sweet potatoes and the fennel (keep the green) and add them to the pan for another 5 minutes while stirring
- Pour in the water, bouillon, salt and orange juice (and zest)
- Let simmer with a closed lid for 15-20 minutes until the veggies are soft
- Add the cream and puree the soup
- Season with more salt, paprika, pepper and chili
- Preheat the oven to 200 degree (Celsius)
- Cut one sweet potato in fine slices, mix with the olive oil and the spices
- Add to a baking pan and bake for 10-15 minutes until crispy (keep an eye on them)
- Serve the soup with the chips, more vegan cream some fennel green and blood orange slices
I really hope this soup can lighten up a grey day for you – it definitely worked for us and if you are as lucky as we have been, there even have been leftovers for the next day.
I’m always super happy to receive your feedback on my blog and recipes, the most rewarding moment for a blogger (that is sitting at home alone most times, lonely just in front of his computer – okay most of the time with delicious food :-). So please sent me your pictures and tag me in your creations! And if you might have any questions, recipe wishes, please don’t hesitate and contact me.
If you are on Pinterest, you can pin this picture and you can find me here:
This post is also available in: DE