Hello Lovelies, I think if I had to choose the one dish that stands for autumn, than it would be pumpkin soup for sure. As many varieties of pumpkin/squash there are there are also recipes for pumpkin soup, you just have to google it. But that’s no wonder since pumpkin is so versatile and works with so many flavors. You can just cook it, or you can roast in the oven. You can add veggies or fruits, there are no limits to your fantasies.
One of my favorite combinations is adding apple to my soup, since I like the slight sweetness that the apple is giving to the soup. And there is a veggie or root, that I really like and that I feel is a bit underestimated or forgotten at some point: parsnip. Often just added to baby food, I think it has much more potential. We really like it roasted in the oven or pan roasted, but its also really good in juices or as chips. It taste similar to carrots or celery, but milder and gets a certain sweetness when roasted. And it’s a perfect match for my pumpkin soup with apple, so that’s the recipe I like to share with you today:
- 10 gr fresh ginger
- 2 shallots
- 150 gr parsnip
- 500 gr pumpkin e.g. butternut
- 1 apple
- 1 liter water
- 1 Tbsp vegetable stock
- 1 Tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp apple vinegar
- 2 pinches of nutmeg
- fresh thyme
- Chop the ginger and shallots and roast in a pan with olive oil for 3-5 min.
- Cut the pumpkin in squares, peel the apple and the parsnip and chop them as well. Add them to the pan and roast for another 5 min.
- Add the water, vegetable stock, salt and pepper and let simmer on medium heat for about 15-20 minutes until the veggies are soft.
- Add the vinegar and nutmeg and puree the soup. Season to taste with fresh or dried thyme and add more salt and pepper if needed.
- Serve with pumpkin seeds, pumpkin seed oil, fresh thyme and vegan cream.
Just give me a piece of fresh bread to go a long with the soup and I’m in autumn heaven. I really like roasted pumpkin seeds, especially good a bit spicy with chili, some pepita oil, fresh thyme and vegan cream as topping.
How do you like your pumpkin soup, whats your favorite addition to it? I recently also made one with roasted pumpkin and mango, a bit exotic, but turned our really delicious.
Have a lovely autumn day everyone!
This post is also available in: DE