Hello lovelies, the heat wave continues and we mainly eat salad. In order for it to make us full, I have a great recipe for you today: Caesar salad with chickpeas and crispy cauliflower. The caesar salad has a topping of roasted chickpeas and crispy baked cauliflower in a cornflakes breading. This isn’t only great with salad, but also pure and we eat it often.
Of course I didn’t make a classic caesar dressing, because this is anything but vegan and usually contains anchovies and eggs. But that isn‘t necessary for a spicy and creamy dressing. In my dressing capers and garlic provide the necessary spice and with mayonnaise and yoghurt it turns out really creamy.
The chickpeas replace crispy fried bread croutons and so the salad is a healthier and fuller alternative. You also don‘t have to do without parmesan, because there are some really great alternatives that taste really delicious.
And now here is the recipe for caesar salad with chickpeas and crispy cauliflower:
Vegan Caesar salad with chickpeas and crispy cauliflower
- 1 glass chickpeas ca. 350 gr/ 12 oz.
- 1 Tbsp olive oil or sesame oil
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp tumeric
- 1 head
- 5 Tbsp soy flour alternatively chickpeas flour
- 8-10 Tbsp plant-based milk
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp soy or tamari sauce
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp Tahini
- 100 gr (3.5 oz.) cornflakes unsweetened
- 2 Tbsp sesame seeds
- 4 Tbsp plant-based yogurt e.g. coconut
- 1 Tbsp vegan mayonnaise
- 1 piece vegan parmesan ca. 5 cm / 2“ (e.g. from Violife)
- Juice 1/2 lemon
- 1 tsp mustard
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 5-7 capers depending on their size
- 1 Tbsp caper brine or vinegar
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 Tbsp vegan worcestersauce
- 1/4-1/2 tsp salt
- pinch sugar & pepper
- 1 large head romain lettuce
- 1 piece vegan parmesan
- 1 small cucumber
- Drain the chickpeas and mix them well with all other ingredients
- Spread them on a baking paper and bake for 15 minutes at 180-200°C (356-392°F)
- Wash the cauliflower and divide it into florets
- Mix the ingredients for the breading (everything but cornflakes and sesame seeds)
- Smash the cornflakes and mix them with the sesame seeds
- Coat the cauliflower florets first in the breading and then in the cornflakes
- Place them on a baking paper and bake them crispy for 30-40 minutes at 180-200°C (356-392°F), turn them around after halftime
- Add all ingredients into a mixer and mix them into a creamy dressing
- Wash the salad and cut it into pieces
- Grind or slice the parmesan
- Cut the cucumber into slices
- Place the salad and the cucumber into a large bowl, mix them with the dressing and cover them with the chickpeas, cauliflower and parmesan
- Instead of the garlic clove you can also use garlic powder for the dressing, in order to make it less intense
We really like romain lettuce very much, because it‘s very crispy. Therefore it fits best with the creamy dressing and the crispy chickpeas and cauliflower. You can often find mini-lettuce in stores now, you can also use them very well. Romain lettuce are in season in Switzerland from May to October and so you can enjoy the caesar salad with chickpeas and crispy cauliflower all summer long.
By the way, don’t let yourself be frightened by the long list of ingredients. The dressing is mixed in minutes, the cauliflower and the chickpeas can bake together in the oven and so everything is done in a heartbeat. Nobody wants to spend a lot of time in the kitchen at these temperatures, right?
Have you already discovered my other summer salads on the blog? We also like the couscous salad with apricots, the watermelon salad with feta and the quinoa salad.
You can also bring this caesar salad to a party or a barbecue, because the lettuce don‘t collapse quickly and you can prepare the dressing, the chickpeas and the cauliflower easily.
As usual, I'm really looking forward to your feedback and I hope you like the salad as much as we did!
If you have Pinterest, you can find me here. Feel free to pin this picture:
This post is also available in: deutsch