Hello lovelies, I am back with a recipe for a delicious banana bread with strawberries and rhubarb. After traveling to Belgium and Marrakech over the past two weeks (more about my travels will follow very soon here), I am now full of energy and ready to share some new recipes with you on here. There will definitely be something from the BBQ, tasty salads and also some recipes with berries. It’s currently berry season and we have to take advantage of it, especially since we waited for it all year – well at least I did!
Ok so now back to the delicious banana bread. I have been working on a new recipe for quite some time now, one that is juicy but not too moist and muddy and this time it turned out perfectly. It’s a wonderful combination of walnuts, chocolate chips, some sour rhubarb and sweet strawberries. And it’s a great way to use up those ripe bananas.
Here is the recipe:
- 2 bananas very ripe
- 2 Tbsp chia seeds + 5 Tbsp water
- 50 ml sparkling water
- 130 ml plant based milk
- 100 gr coconut blossom sugar or a different type of sugar
- 130 gr margarine
- 300 gr spelt flour
- 50 gr chocolate chips – or regular chocolate
- 50 gr walnuts
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1 Tbsp cider vinegar
- 2 rods of rhubarb
- 5-10 strawberries
- Preheat the oven to 180 °C (356 °F)
- Smash the bananas using a fork
- Mix the chia seeds with water and let soak for a while
- Put the bananas into a bowl along with plant based milk, sugar and margarine and blend them using a hand mixer or a food processor
- Add the soaked chia seeds
- Add flour, baking powder and salt and mix well
- At last add 1 Tbsp cider vinegar
- Roughly grind the walnuts and add them to the dough along with chocolate - just spoon under
- Put the dough into a greased loaf pan
- Now peel the rhubarb, cut it into stripes, slice the strawberries and place both on top of the dough
- Sprinkle some more walnuts and chocolate on top
- Bake 60-70 minutes - check with a stick if well done
The banana bread tastes excellent for breakfast, along with coffee and cake or as a picnic at the lake or a visit to the pool. Isn’t it lovely that local strawberries are now available? They are extremely sweet and tasty due to the lovely sunny weather we have had these past few weeks. I will share another strawberry recipe very soon. Or do you have any specific requests?
I’ll be glad if you try this recipe and please don’t forget to send me pictures or tag me on Instagram. Of course you can leave out the rhubarb and just add some more strawberries on top of the banana bread.
If you have Pinterest you can find me here and pin this picture if you like:
This post is also available in: DE